The Masters golf tournament in Augusta, Georgia is taking place April 6-9.
2019 champion, Tiger Woods, will be the sentimental favorite to win the event. Woods has played in just one tournament this year, the Genesis Invitational – an event he hosts. He made the cut and (considering his lack of tournament play), did well, regularly outdriving some of his playing partners – including Rory McIlroy.
Who will win this years Masters?
As usual, many players are in top form coming into the Masters. Augusta often has a special place in the hearts of many of the players. Some more than others. Among those who seem to play well here, no matter their form coming into the event are: Hideki Matsuyama, Bubba Watson, Webb Simpson, Will Zalatoris, McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Jason Day.
With many of the players — including past champions — jumping to LIV, it will be interesting to have an event where everyone is accepted to play. I think that is the right call for the majors to do. There is no need to continue and create division, as long as players are qualified to play.
Last years champion, Scottie Scheffler, is continuing his good play with a win at the Phoenix Open this year. McIlroy and Jon Rahm are other top players who are in great form coming into Augusta.
We’re also keeping an eye on Cameron Young, 2022 rookie-of-the-year and runner-up to Cam Smith at the Open. His game seems to be a great fit for the course.
Our picks to win this years tournament are:
- Jon Rahm – As of this writing, Rahm is #1 in the world and is likely playing the best golf of everyone. He’s also been in the top 10 at Augusta in three of the last four Masters.
- Rory McIlroy – Another golfer at the top of his game, McIlroy was runner-up to Scheffler and is willing and able to complete his career grand slam with a win.
- Cam Smith – After winning the Open Championship last year, Smith moved on to play LIV Golf. Smith is another golfer who seems to find himself at the top of the leaderboard every year. It will be an interesting showdown if a LIV and PGA Tour golfer are head-to-head down the stretch.
- Sungjae Im – Another golfer who plays Augusta well, is Im. Im is one of the more consistent golfers on Tour and has showed up on the top of the leaderboard the past couple years.
- Cameron Champ – One golfer who has all the talent to win again and again, is Champ. If his putter gets hot, look for him to show up near the lead on Sunday.
- Jordan Spieth – Hard to say Spieth is a long-shot at the Masters. While his play has been better this season, it is spotty at times. But Augusta always seems to elevate his game, what ever the condition it is in.
So there you have it.
Who do you think will win this year’s event?